Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Nicole Time


It's kind of like "crucian time" defined by the Crucian Dictionary as "to be "on Crucian time" is to be late, often shockingly late (according to Stateside standards.) Certain events, like the annual Crucian Christmas Festival parade, are famous for starting several hours late. As the saying goes, "On St. Croix, if you're half an hour late, you're fifteen minutes early!"

Nicole time uses the same time format (approx. 15 minutes late) with different reasons. If I see I have 5 minutes before I have to leave to go somewhere, I look for a task to occupy those five minutes, wishing to utilize and maximize every moment efficiently. Of course the selected task to be completed in those five minutes is never one which takes five minutes and in the process of doing that one, I get distracted by another one that needs to be done, and so on and so forth. True story. And still it seems my to do list is never ending? I don't even have kids...

I open my store everyday at around 10:15. I used to fight it, but I have surrendered. I'm on Nicole time, which I am sure is interpreted by many as crucian time. I can handle that. My day starts when I wake up at around 7 or 7:30 and I am working from home over breakfast and coffee, then there are the necessary stops and errands on my way into town to open up. I also generally stay at the shop later than 5 or 5:30 and when I do finally make it home for the evening - after theater, dance class, my second job or some other side project - I get back on the computer and start working all over again.

Nicole time is precious, certainly to me, and there seem to be several vying for it these days as well, myself included.
Share:

4 comments:

TerryC said...

Shall I take a number?

Nicole said...

I don't have time to pass out numbers ;)

I'm at the Greek tonight.

TerryC said...

Well I knew that, Goofy, that's why I called. ;-)

jks said...

That Crucian Dictionary is priceless..

a diamond in the rough

a diamond in the rough
Powered by Blogger.

Follow me...

BTemplates.com