Monday, May 4, 2009

St. Croix International Triathlon - Ironman 70.3

As part of experiencing the St. Croix I never have, with gentle nudging from my friend Steph Schoyer of Bohemian Rhapsody, I went to bed early on Saturday night and dragged my ass out of bed at 4:30am on Sunday morning to watch the St. Croix Ironman 70.3. Her promises of sexy men in spandex did not disappoint and on the way into town we were greeted with a beautiful sunrise... and eye-candy.
The excitement of the race was infectious! Throes of athletes from around the world all on our little island, doing what they love and have worked incredibly hard towards for eons. It still gives me chills just thinking about it. Plus, several members of our island family were participating in the sprint, or short course.

This is one of my best girlfriends, Amber. She did the sprint yesterday and finished looking like she was on top of the world! Yay, Amber!

I pulled out my little outdated digi-cam, but when Steph saw me she hissed at me to put it away and produced from her bag a fancy, real photographer's camera with a gi-mourmous lens. I was intimidated by it at first, but after a few hours and practice shots, I was in love. It was interesting to me to see the way people treat you when you have a fancy, real photographer's camera with a gi-nourmous lens. They must have thought I was someone important (duh! hello, I AM) and by association with the camera and Steph they surely did. A picture really is worth a thousand words, or more! I was able to capture moments it would take me days to express in words, perhaps I need all these different mediums with which to express the different voices of the artist inside. Yes, I think that's just it.

This is the best picture of the day for me; winner Tim O'Gorgeous O'Donnell shakes race coordinator Tom Guthrie's hand, with one of our most eccentric and dynamic vagabonds, one-legged-George (I still remember him when he had two legs) smiling like a fool and applauding in the background.
Share:

1 comments:

stephanie said...

great post kiddo! you have so many brilliant talents...

a diamond in the rough

a diamond in the rough
Powered by Blogger.

Follow me...

BTemplates.com