Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Weathering the storms

It is the height of hurricane season and the time when I would shut down my business for a few weeks in order to attempt to get some rest and have a bit of downtime before the coming tourist season. Ironic that this year, this is the time when I finally begin to feel calm and relaxed, despite not having the business open for what is now just over 2 months. Creature of habit, indeed I am.

Thus far the tropical storms have only kissed us, Ana and Erika, fickle women that they are. However they have brought much rain to us and blessed the island with delicious greenery everywhere. Summer storms are really magical and I thoroughly enjoy their visits and the experience of the before, during and after. Over the course of my most recent house sitting stint, I was able to watch such storms creep across the water to our south, from my perch on the hill over looking the island's south shore. Truly amazing.

This striking photo was taken on Cotton Valley Shores and sent to me by a friend a few months back, it aptly demonstrates the storm activity I was fortunate enough to observe all those days and nights. Like the storms over the water and over the island, the storms in our lives also come and go, often commanding concern and fear, but passing us by and leaving in their paths a newer, fresh and revitalized vision.

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore
Share:

0 comments:

a diamond in the rough

a diamond in the rough
Powered by Blogger.

Follow me...

BTemplates.com