Monday, March 31, 2014

Food Post - Moroccan Chickpea Stew

Day 15 of my sobriety/ detox/ get healthy stint. Finally kicking out the respiratory funk that has plagued me for just as long. The former should be helping the latter, can't imagine how long this crap would last were I not trying to clean up my act. Luckily, I've been keeping pretty healthy for awhile now, but I'm taking it a step further to coincide with some changes and fresh personal goals. A little jump start for my overall being.

I'm not much of a food or recipe poster, most of my favorite recipes have come from the interwebs or have been inspired by recipes I find online. I do save a lot of my faves and interesting looking ones on my F&B Pinterest board, and I love how many easy, quick and healthy recipes I find on that (godforsaken) website. Today however, I thought I would post a favorite recipe of mine that I have been making for years, because it is so damn good and pretty healthy too. Even super award-winning, rock star chef, Biggs, loves this dish (and the fact that I cook it and he doesn't have to).

Moroccan Chickpea Stew 



Ingredients:
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (I usually use yellow but only had red today - it works)
1 bulb of garlic, pressed (I like a lot of garlic, the original recipe called for only 3-4 cloves)
1/2 tsp. each; cinnamon, cumin, paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne (I actually use 1/2 tsp. cayenne as well, I like it spicier)
2-14.5 oz. cans diced tomato with juice
2-14.5 oz. cans chickpeas (drained)
16oz. vegetable or chicken broth (I make my own stock, so I generally use that)
4 cups chopped kale (washed, no stems)
A pinch or 5 of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper

In large pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil, add spices and saute for a few minutes (this smells amazing!). Add tomatoes in juice, chick peas and broth, add red pepper flakes, season with a healthy dash of salt and pepper (about ten twists on the pepper mill), stir well and bring to a boil.

At this point I like to mash up some of the chick peas with a potato masher (or fork), it gives the stew a little extra thickness. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30-45 minutes.


Add kale and allow to wilt in the stew just prior to serving. Spinach also works in place of kale, but I prefer the way kale stands up to the heat and keeps its body. Season to taste as needed. 



Serve and enjoy!



Share:

a diamond in the rough

a diamond in the rough
Powered by Blogger.

Follow me...

BTemplates.com